The role of the Mourne Academy is to identify and develop talented young players, while building strong, successful Down development squads in Football, Hurling, Camogie and Ladies’ Football.
An experienced new steering committee will work to implement a ‘culture shift’ in our approach to coaching and training. This means a focus on Fitness and Conditioning, Sports Nutrition and Sports Psychology, to help produce top class athletes.
A robust operational plan is in place, with a number of priority areas identified and targets set out.
Our goals include:
- Enhancing the provision of Fitness and Conditioning, Applied Sports Science, Sports Nutrition, Sports Psychology and Sports Medicine expertise for our underage development squads.
- Securing successes at Minor, U21 and Senior level in provincial and national championships and leagues.
- Strengthening links between Club Down and both schools and clubs. This communication is key in identifying talent early and ensuring the Academy is successful.
- Development and implementation of a Coaching Excellence Pathway that will empower and up-skill coaches.
- Recruitment of new coaches to enhance the coaching provisions for schools, clubs and development squads, and the appointment of a High Performance Manager to oversee the development of the Mourne Academy.
- Creating a development pathway for players through the Academy to Senior level.